Sunday, January 12, 2014

Saturday after Epiphany, Cycle A - January 11, 2014

Saturday after the Epiphany
January 11, 2014          8:30am


John the Baptist comments on his relationship to Jesus.
He says, “He must increase; I must decrease.”
We need to voice the same words.

For us, this means that we allow Jesus, little by little, to touch all that we are.
It means that we set out each morning to allow him to affect what we say and how we say it, and what we do and don’t do.
It even means that we allow even the spirit of Jesus to affect our inner spirit – our attitudes, our perspectives on life and persons and problems, whether these are personal to us or societal.

“He must increase; I must decrease” – this also affects us in other ways.
It means that I don’t always have to talk about what I have done.
It means that I can be happy in what others have done and accomplished too.
It means that I can listen when others speak – listening to try to understand what they are saying and thinking, and even trying to grasp what they are feeling underneath their words.
It means that I do not interrupt others when they are speaking and am not just waiting for a split-second break to say what I am thinking about.
It means that I can be the center of attention when that is appropriate.
And it means that I can peacefully allow another to be the center also.

So, “He must increase; I must decrease” – these are challenging words from John this morning.
Frankly, they go against a lot of our cultural or societal ways of constant self-assertion and avoiding self-effacement at all costs.
But, these words are the way of a follower of Jesus.

They constitute sound spiritual and therefore personal direction for us.