Sunday, August 10, 2014

19th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle A - August 10, 2014

19th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Cycle A
August 10, 2014        4PM, 7:30 and 9:00AM
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air


My Storms


When I was twenty-five years old, I experienced the first real storm of my life.  My mother was diagnosed with cancer and it was advanced.

Mom died nine months later.  This was a very painful loss for me. 

It was a major storm in my life, right in my first year of priesthood.  There was no way to avoid it.

Then, when I was thirty years-old, I hit another major storm.  I had been a priest for four years and suddenly I had serious doubts about my vocation.

I felt good about some things I had done and I felt lots of affirmation.  But suddenly, I was questioning everything. 

Did I really want to do this for the rest of my life?  Could I do it and be happy? 

I ended up seeing a psychologist, getting the issues resolved, and I have been happy as a priest.  But it was a major storm and there was no way to avoid it.

Peter’s Storm


I recalled all of this as I thought about today’s gospel.

Peter and the other disciples are in a boat on the lake and it gets stormy.  The wind and the waves are tossing the boat around.

It is a real storm.  And it is also symbolic – intended to be symbolic of the storms in our lives.

And you know, don’t we all have storms at one time or another?  It could be a threatening medical report, the death of a loved one, the break-up of a marriage, an addiction, the loss of a job, and on it goes.

In today’s gospel, Peter in his fear looks to Jesus and calls out, “Lord, save me!”  So he turns to the Lord and calls out to him in the midst of the storm.

That, I think is the message.  We need to do the same thing.

The question is: what does this mean?  How do we do this?

From the two big storms in my life, I learned that three things are important.  Three habits or practices are important for allowing God to help us get through the storms.

Three Habits or Practices


First, a prayer every morning is helpful and even essential.  It can be simple and it is probably better if it is in our words and not a learned prayer.

In this prayer, and this is very important, resolve to do your best today.  Resolve to give yourself as best you can to whatever you have to do even if you have to push yourself to do it.

This resolve is important because sometimes we will just have to push ourselves and make ourselves keep moving through the storms.  So in the morning, make a prayer of resolve to do your best and to push yourself if need be, and ask God to help you with this.

Then second, choose a brief, one-sentence prayer and repeat this often throughout the day.  For example, Peter’s words, “Lord, save me.”

Or, “God is love,” or “I am with you always.”  Or, “Lord, you are my refuge and my strength.” 

A one-sentence prayer helps us to stay centered on the Lord throughout the day.  It helps us to keep our eyes on Jesus when we are in stormy seas.

And then, third, make space for some silence.  Elijah in the first reading gives us a great lesson on this.

He hears the Lord not in any dramatic way, but rather in silence.  My experience is that in the storms of life, we need to go within and listen to our inner self and this is why we need a little silence.

God speaks through our feelings, our deepest desires, our ideas and our yearnings.  God can really help us through our storms in this way and we need to be quiet and listen to him in our inner self.

Conclusion



So, 1) a prayer of resolve in the morning, 2) a one-sentence prayer for throughout the day, and 3) some silence and going to our inner self – these are ways to turn to Jesus and allow him to help us in the storms of our lives.