Sunday, October 26, 2014

Tuesday of the 29th Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle A - October 21, 2014

Tuesday of the 29th Week in Ordinary Time
October 21, 2014          8:30am

 

Often enough I have heard people say: “I don’t know what I would do without my faith.”
I have heard people say this when they are grieving the death of a loved one, or when they are suffering through a sickness, or when they are dealing with family or marriage troubles or the loss of a job.
And I think it is a real and good statement.
In a way, I am thinking we can all say it: “I don’t know what I would do without my faith.”

That really is what Saint Paul is saying in today’s first reading.
Paul says to the people of Ephesus that at one time you were without Christ, without hope, without God.
But now you have Christ and that makes all the difference in the world.

Paul says to them and says to us:
Now we can have inner peace.
Now we have a oneness and a sense of oneness with God.
Now we have a oneness with each other through Jesus, a sense of community, a relationship of brother and sister with all other human beings.
Now we have, to use Paul’s word, a foundation for our lives.
Now we have meaning and purpose, a way to live.
Now we have hope, a hope that is based not on a wish but based on our relationship with Jesus.

Christ has done this for us, transformed our lives and our earthly experience.
All we have to do is be receptive to what he offers.
And that is Jesus’ point in the gospel.
Be receptive to the Lord and alert to the Lord each day.
If we do that, if we respond in this way and do our part, then there will be a world of difference in our lives.

And we too will say: “I don’t know what I would do without my faith.”