Sunday, November 2, 2014

Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, Cycle A - November 2, 2014

Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed
Cycle A
November 2, 2014        7:30 and 9:00 am
Saint Margaret, Bel Air


Imagine – Around 1875


Try to imagine for just a minute that it is around the year 1875.

It is rural America, out in the farm country of the Midwest.  There are no cars, only horses and horse-drawn wagons.

In that setting, there lives a little boy named Tom – and this is a true story!  Both of Tom’s parents die and he is left an orphan.

His Aunt Katherine takes him in and raises him.  Then, years later, Tom receives a letter from his Aunt Katherine.

She has a terminal illness and, from the tone of the letter, Tom knows that she is afraid of death.  So he writes a letter in response.

Letter from Tom


Dear Aunt Katherine, thirty-five years ago, when I was six-years-old, I was left alone in the world.  You sent me word that you would give me a home and be a mother to me.

“I’ve never forgotten the day when I made the long journey of ten miles to your house.  I can still recall my disappointment when, instead of coming to me yourself, you sent your hired-hand Joseph to fetch me.

“I remember my tears and anxiety as, perched high on the horse and clinging tight to Joseph, I rode off to my new home.  Night fell before we finished the journey and, as it grew dark, I became even more afraid.

“‘Do you think she’ll go to bed before I get there?’ I asked Joseph.  ‘Oh, no,’ Joseph answered, ‘she’s sure to stay up.  When we get out of these woods, you’ll see her light shining in the window.’

“We did ride out into the clearing and there was your light.  I remember that you were waiting at the door; that you put your arms tight around me; that you lifted me – a tired, frightened, little boy – down from the horse.

“You had a fire burning on the hearth, a hot supper waiting on the stove.  After supper you took me to my new room.

“You heard me say my prayers.  Then you sat with me until I fell asleep.

“You very probably realize why I am now trying to recall this to your memory.  Very soon, God is going to send for you, and take you to a new home.

“I’m trying to tell you that you needn’t be afraid of the summons or of the strange journey.  God can be trusted.

“God can be trusted to do as much for you as you did for me so many years ago.  At the end of the road you’ll find love and a welcome waiting for you.

“And you’ll be safe in God’s care.  I’m going to watch and pray for you until you’re out of sight. 

“And I shall wait for the day when I make the same journey myself and find you waiting at the end of the road to greet me.” 

Our Faith


Tom’s letter to his Aunt Katherine is very touching.

It shows a simple, but clear, strong, and trusting faith.  It reflects so beautifully Jesus’ words in today’s gospel.

Jesus says: “Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and I will not reject anyone who comes to me.  This is the will of the one who sent me, that I should not lose anything of what he gave me.”

Jesus is so clear in his promise and in the hope he gives us.  He is affirming what one writer calls the circle of God’s love.

God’s love creates us.  God’s love is with us in Jesus.

God’s love sustains us on this earth.  And God’s love re-creates us when we pass on from this earth and go to our heavenly home.

This is the circle of God’s love.  This circle includes all of us and that is why we believe that we remain and will remain in relationship with our loved ones and with all of God’s sons and daughters.


This is how we understand Jesus’ words in today’s gospel.  And this is why we have All Souls Day, a day to remember and pray for all the faithful departed.