Monday, December 7, 2015

2nd Sunday of Advent, Cycle B - December 6, 2015

2nd Sunday of Advent
Cycle C
December 6, 2015        10 am and 12 noon
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air

 

The Sacrament of Reconciliation


When I was a child, my parents used to take my brother and me to confession about every two weeks.

Now, I imagine some of you are thinking: he probably needed it!  Well, maybe I did, but in those days, a lot of people did this.

Today, the great majority of us don’t come to this Sacrament with that frequency.  So, this morning, I want to reflect with you on one question. 

How often are we as Catholics to go to the Sacrament of Reconciliation?  Or, maybe it would be appropriate to ask: Do we ever need to go to confession?

Why Verbal Confession


Before I try to answer this, I want to say a word on why confession is part of our Catholic tradition.

Why do we have this practice of verbally confessing our sins to a priest and verbally receiving absolution?  I think the answer comes down to this.

We are relational and social persons.  Whenever we do something wrong, like children back-talking their parents, it has an effect on others.

And whenever we fail to do something good, like not properly caring for our aging parents, it has an effect on others.  So, verbally confessing our sins and saying “I am sorry” expresses our relational and social nature.

On the flip side, hearing another person say words of forgiveness responds to our relational and social nature.  In Reconciliation, the other person is a priest who in this sacrament represents Christ.

That makes this experience all the more powerful.  I think our tradition of Reconciliation only makes sense if we first understand this.

How Often?


Okay, let’s get to the question.

How often are we to go to Reconciliation?  Or, do we ever really have to go to confession?

Let’s think about it this way.  Church law says that we are to go to Mass every Sunday – every Sunday.

The Mass is the highest priority.  Church law also says that we are to come to the Sacrament of Reconciliation if we have committed serious sin.

So there is a big difference here.  We are bound to come to confession only if we have been unfaithful to God or to our calling in life in some very significant way.

Now, the Church also encourages us to come to this Sacrament more regularly.  The thinking is that we are all human and we all sin in some way.

And so, this Sacrament can be helpful in our spiritual growth.  It can help us to stay on track and follow the way of the Lord more fully.

But notice: the Church encourages but does not require us to come to the Sacrament regularly for spiritual growth.  It is meant to be an opportunity – a good opportunity, not a burden.

The Reality


I know from my experience that some of you find this Sacrament very enriching.

You use it regularly for your spiritual well-being.  I also know that some Catholics find this to be a challenging Sacrament.

They do not use it regularly or see it as a necessary way for their spiritual growth.  But they are living good lives and being good Catholics.

Conclusion


With that, I want to make two recommendations.

First, please review your own thoughts and feelings about this Sacrament.  Just review this in light of what I have said today.

And second, maybe in the morning or in the evening, do a review of the past day.  Take a look at your day and see if there is any way that you did not follow the way of the Lord.

I suggest that we pick out just one thing, maybe it will consistently be the same thing. And then pray what we call an Act of Contrition – a prayer for forgiveness and resolve.

I have placed a card with this prayer at the end of each row of seats.  I invite you to pass them down so that every one has a copy.


Using this will be a way to express your need for forgiveness and for spiritual growth.  It will be a way to respond to John the Baptist’s call for repentance in today’s gospel.