Tuesday, November 9, 2021

32nd Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle B - November 7, 2021

 32nd Sunday of Ordinary Time

Cycle B

November 7, 2021     

Our Lady of Grace Parish, Parkton 5pm and 8:30am 

 

Introduction

 

This morning, I want to speak with you on two matters. 

 

First, I want to reflect on today’s gospel and our financial support of the parish. And second, I want to talk about something that Pope Francis is spearheading and how this involves us right now.

 

Parish Finances

 

So, first, our financial support.

 

Since becoming Administrator on September 20, it has taken me a while to wrap my head around the parish financial position. The Finance Committee, the corporators, the President of the Pastoral Council, the parish Business Manager, and others have all been a big help to me.

 

I think I now have a pretty good understanding of where we are. The bottom line is that we are operating this year on a budget that is not balanced.

 

We are projecting a deficit at the end of the fiscal year of $137,000 – a deficit of $137,000. We need to address this for the present and the future well-being of the parish.

 

So, we will continue to review our expenses to see if any reductions can be made. If we can reduce expenses, we will.

 

At this point, I am also asking each parish family to look at your financial giving. We do many wonderful things as a parish, and there is more to do.

 

We as Christians and as Catholics have a rich spiritual tradition. We want to offer this in ways that touch the lives of each person here at Our Lady of Grace. 

 

As I said several weeks ago, our parish has a plan for doing this. Father Jim and the Pastoral Council developed this for the parish and our ministry is based on this. 

 

Your support is needed for this. Today I am talking about financial support.

 

Before long, we will also talk about support for this through your time and talent. But for today, I am asking us to review our financial giving. 

 

I am addressing this to all families or persons who are here this weekend and to those watching our Masses being live-streamed. I will also be sending a letter to all registered families about this, including those of you who are already giving generously. 

 

I thank you for your present giving to Our Lady of Grace. I have gotten to meet many of you and I find your faith inspiring. 

 

Our financial giving is one very concrete expression of our faith. So, I ask you to take a look at this and, if possible, consider an increase of 5% or even more. 

 

The truth is that our offertory giving is under budget by 15%. I know that you will do what you can.

 

The letter that will come within ten days, will repeat this request and also show you the ways you can give. Now, I say all of this mindful of today’s gospel. 

 

Jesus praises the poor, widowed woman who drops two small coins into the temple treasury. His wonderful point is that each of us is to give to God’s work according to our means. 

 

So, I want you to know that this is also my mindset. We, and that includes me, we are to give in proportion to our personal resources. 

 

So, please take a look at this in the context of your faith and your relationship with God. 

 

Synod and Conversation

 

Now, a few words about Pope Francis.

 

The Pope is preparing the entire Church for a Synod in 2023. The word Synod comes from a Greek word that literally means journeying together.

 

The Synod in 2023 will be in Rome and will have bishops and others from around the world participating in it. To prepare for that, Pope Francis wants some input from the entire church. 

 

The document for the Synod, approved by Pope Francis, says: “The Spirit is moving in new ways. The synod is intended to inspire people to dream about the church we are called to be, to bind up wounds, to build bridges, to enlighten minds, and restore strength for our common mission.”

 

Each parish in every diocese is being asked to hold a listening session and offer input. We have been given several simple questions to guide us on this. 

 

These questions deal with what has encouraged and helped us and with what has discouraged and hurt us as persons of faith. Our responses to the questions can be based on our experience with the total or universal Church, and also on our experience with our own parish, Our Lady of Grace.

 

To respond to the Pope’s request, I am inviting all parishioners to a conversation and listening session. I will hold two of these, one next Sunday November 14 beginning by 9:45, after the 8:30 Mass, and the other on Monday evening November 15 at 7pm. 

 

These will be in the parish hall and there will be some refreshments. Obviously, you can pick the time that works better for you. 

 

I think that these sessions can be a valuable opportunity for us to express both hurts and hopes, to bind up any wounds that may be there and to build vision for a good future. I hope you will consider coming to one of them.

 

Let me conclude by thanking you for all of your time and attention this morning and for all that you are as persons of faith. It is a blessing for me to be here with you.