Saturday, January 21, 2023

Christmas, Cycle A - December 25, 2022

 Christmas – A 

December 25, 2022    6pm 

Our Lady of Grace Parish, Parkton

 

Memories of a Child’s Christmas 

 

My earliest memory of Christmas goes back to when I was a very little boy. 

 

I’m thinking this is when I was three years old, and my brother Charlie was four. I remember my mother and father getting us to bed at the usual time on Christmas Eve. 

 

We were very excited because we knew that Santa Claus was going to come. In fact, the last thing we did with mom and dad before going up to bed was to leave a glass of milk and a couple of mom’s homemade chocolate cookies on the kitchen table.

 

Of course, that was for Santa. We knew he had a lot of work to do that night, and he would need a snack. 

 

Well, in some way, Charlie and I got to sleep even though we were so excited. I remember waking up early – I think about 7 o’clock on Christmas morning. 

 

We immediately went downstairs in our pajamas and wow! There it was! 

 

A Christmas tree fully decorated – there had been no tree when we went to bed. And there were presents underneath the tree. 

 

We quickly ran up the steps and ran into mom and dad’s bedroom and woke them up. They still seemed very sleepy, and I couldn’t understand why, but they got up and came downstairs, and we opened the presents. 

 

By the way, Santa had drunk the milk and eaten the cookies. That made us especially happy.

 

Some of the presents I remember from those early years were a three-wheel bike, toy cars and trucks, plastic building blocks (Legos were not out yet), and a game called Pick-up-Sticks.

 

And this Thanksgiving, I discovered that this game is still popular because my great-niece Megan has it. She and I played a game of it, and she won!

 

I remember that later on Christmas day, we visited my grandparents – both sets of grandparents- and had lots to eat! I still couldn’t figure out why mom and dad seemed so tired and were happy to get home and get to bed that night!

 

So, tonight I think back and reminisce. That was just my family’s, one family’s Christmas and it was over seventy years ago. 

 

Every family’s situation and every family’s Christmas customs are different and that’s fine. But, from my memories I see some good lessons for myself – and maybe you will find them good too.

 

Lesson 1: Support Those Who Do Good

 

For example, I feel called to do what I can to support those who are trying to do good for others. 

 

The milk and cookies we left for Santa Claus taught me that. So, schoolteachers and EMS staff, doctors and nurses, police officers and fire fighters, farmers and social workers – and on it goes. 

 

I want to let them know that I appreciate what they are doing. I want to give them some milk and cookies too. 

 

Lesson 2: Respect Parents

 

Another lesson that I learned from my early Christmas is that I respect parents. 

 

I learned this from what my own parents did for us, especially at Christmas when we were very young. You who are parents have a beautiful calling. 

 

And you also have a lot of responsibility. In my years as a priest, I have come to respect parents because of all you do for your families day in and day out. 

 

Lesson 3: Include Everyone 

 

And a third lesson that I have learned from that early experience of Christmas is to include everyone. 

 

Santa Claus went or goes to every home. Everyone counts and now we need to make sure that everyone gets taken care of.

 

I need to exclude no one from the circle of love and giving and caring. I need to include everyone.

 

Conclusion

 

Okay! The last thing I want to say may be obvious. 

 

Santa is doing the work of Jesus. In fact, Santa shows us what Christmas is all about. 

 

God loves us – God loves all of us, every person on this earth. And God loves us so much that he sent his Son here to make that very clear. 

 

That Son, Jesus, was born two thousand years ago in Bethlehem. Santa points us to Jesus, and the lessons that come from Santa are the lessons of Jesus.

 

That’s what my first Christmases remind me of this year. I hope this reminiscing has been as good for you as it has been for me. Merry Christmas!