Monday, August 24, 2015

Friday of the 19th Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle B - August 14, 2015

Friday of the 19th Week in Ordinary Time
Memorial of Saint Maximilian Kolbe
August 14, 2015   8:30am


Jesus’ teaching about the oneness and permanency of marriage today got me thinking in a practical way.
I asked myself the question:
What supports a married couple in their commitment?
What habits or behaviors would help?
There are probably lots of them we could list.
I want to share just four habits or behaviors that I think would help in deepening oneness and in maintaining commitment in marriage.

1. Say something positive, affirming, or endearing to your husband or wife every day. 
Say something like that every day.

2. Share what went on in your life that day.
Take time to do this every day.

3. Listen to what’s going on in your husband’s or wife’s life.
And listen not just to the events or happenings or experiences, but listen also to their feelings about what went on. 
Maybe even ask how they are feeling about it.

4. Pray.
Look to God and Jesus as the model example of commitment.
God has committed himself to us completely and unconditionally and forever.
Look to God and Jesus on the cross and ask God to help you in your commitment.

Now, I am sure there are other habits and behaviors that would help.
I can think of a few others and I bet you can too, but this is just a weekday Mass homily.
So, I hope these few ideas are helpful and I hope they are a positive way to respond to Jesus’ words today.