Sunday, October 11, 2015

Monday of the 27th Week in Ordinary Time, Cycle B - October 5, 2015

Monday of the 27th Week in Ordinary Time
October 5, 2015   8:30am


So, a brother Jew who is a scholar of the law asks Jesus, “Who is my neighbor?
He wants an answer to that so that he knows whom he has to love and whom he doesn’t have to love.
Jesus then tells a story, what we call “The Parable of the Good Samaritan,” and then asks: “Who was neighbor to the robber’s victim?”
Jesus shifts the thought process from object to subject, from looking outside myself at others to determine my behavior to looking within at myself to determine my behavior.
It is an amazing twist and I think it is quite profound.
I want to try to state this in today’s, maybe more contemporary terms.

Jesus is calling us to be inner-directed, not outer-directed.
He wants us to determine our behavior by what is within us, by our beliefs and values.
He does not want us to determine our behavior by what happens outside of us or by what others do or don’t do.

Jesus calls us to respond and not to react.
He wants us to act and speak from that inner core of ourselves where God abides and allow the Spirit to shape what we say and do.
Jesus does not want us to react to a personality type or a statement or an action simply with unprocessed emotion, in a thoughtless and probably hurtful or destructive way.

That’s how I see the impact of what happens in this gospel incident.

For our thinking and living, Jesus takes us from object to subject – from “Who is my neighbor?” to “Who acted as neighbor?”