Sunday, April 10, 2016

Second Sunday of Easter, Cycle C - April 3, 2016

Second Sunday of Easter
Cycle C
April 3, 2016
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air

 

Readings:   Acts 5.12-16
                  Revelation 1.9-11a, 12-13, 17-19
                  John 20.19-31
          

Forgive or Bind


The risen Jesus in today’s gospel says: If you forgive peoples’ sins, they are forgiven them; if you hold them bound, they are held bound.” 

Jesus is speaking not just to his apostles, but to a wider group of disciples.  So, in effect, he is speaking to all of us.

What I find especially interesting is that Jesus does not speak of forgiving or not forgiving.  Instead, he speaks of forgiving or binding.

The idea is that the very Jesus who teaches us to forgive without limits is not giving the option here to withhold forgiveness.  Instead, he is saying that, in fact, we either forgive others or we bind them.

So, when we don’t forgive others, we don’t allow them to move away from a past action.  We kind of freeze them and bind them right where they are.

I remember seeing this in a family that was very close to me.  Two brothers and a sister disagreed over the allocation of their mother’s estate.

The one brother and sister thought that the other brother got more than they did.  This became a wedge between the three of them for forty years and each of them ended up dying without any forgiveness or apology.

Why Do We Bind?


I have to ask: why do we sometimes refuse to forgive and, in that way, bind others?

What keeps us from forgiving people who have wronged us?  I am thinking of two factors that can lead to this.

First, our refusal to forgive and our binding others may have to do with our sense of self-esteem or self-worth.  Maybe subsciously, we are trying to build ourselves up by continuing to put down the other person and prove them wrong.

And then, there is the issue that if we forgive others, we have to relate to them and, if we do that, we might have to accept some share of the blame for what happened.  Here our refusal to forgive comes from our pride and our unwillingness to admit that we might be wrong too.

Notice, that when we don’t forgive, we end up binding others or freezing them where they are.  But we also bind ourselves and kind of lock ourselves into a hardened, maybe inflexible position.

I want to add one word of caution here.  I often find it important to add this.

I am not saying that forgiveness includes placing ourselves in danger of harm, as when there has been domestic violence or abuse.  Forgiveness does not include placing ourselves in that kind of risk.

 

How to Forgive?


There is a saying that knowing the enemy is half the battle. 

So, if we can identify what is going on inside us that keeps us from freeing and forgiving others, that may help us a great deal.  If we can see that it is an issue of self-worth or of pride, we might be able to deal with that and then stop binding the other person. 

Maybe I can realize that I can have even more self-esteem if I don’t keep putting down someone who has offended me.  Or maybe I can realize that I am still a good person if I let go of my pride and admit that I was wrong too. 


So, if I can get in touch with why I am binding others and then deal with it, I am much more able to follow the mission that the risen Jesus is giving us today.  I am much more able to free and forgive others.