Tuesday, June 14, 2016

11th Sunday of Ordinary Time, Cycle C - June 12, 2016

11th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Cycle C
June 12, 2016                        9:00am and 11:100am Masses
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air


Our Shadows


This morning, let’s think for a minute about shadows.

Just imagine that the sun is back there in the sky and there is no wall.  If I am standing here with my back to the sun, my body will cast a shadow and I will see it.

But, if I stand facing the sun like this, my shadow will be behind me.  It is still there, but I just don’t see it and may not even be aware of it.

Our Shadows and God


Now, let’s take this a step farther and think of our physical shadow as something that I am not proud of.  Maybe it is a trait or habit, like verbally putting down certain people all the time.

And then, let’s think of the sun as God, as Jesus who is the light of the world.  Now notice this – it is probably obvious.

I only see my shadow when I have my back turned to the sun – to Jesus.  When I do that, I may be focused on my shadow and may even be living out of it.

But when I am facing the sun, Jesus, my shadow doesn’t disappear.  It is still there, but I am not focused on it and am probably not living out of it.

In fact, I am focused on the light and the way of Jesus.  And I am probably living out of that.

Today’s Gospel


This is a helpful way to understand today’s gospel story.

The woman in the gospel has come to terms with her shadow and has turned to Jesus.  Her shadow remains part of her, but it is in a sense behind her.

She experiences Jesus’ forgiveness and moves beyond the shadow.  With that in mind, I see three lessons here.

Lesson 1: Everyone Has Shadows


The first is that we all have a shadow.

In the gospel, the man named Simon disdains the unnamed, so-called sinful woman.  Because of that, Jesus tells the parable about a creditor and debtors and his point is that we all need forgiveness for something.

It may be little or great, but it is there – our shadow.  I see this as a basic truth that we all need to admit.

Lesson 2: Face Jesus/ the Sun


The second lesson is that we all need to turn and face the sun or God.

We can do this in various ways.  For example, we have the Penitential Prayer at the beginning of every Mass.

Here we can consistently, every week, bring to God the trait or habit that is our shadow.  And here God forgives us and empowers us to move on – just as Jesus does with the woman in the gospel.

Our shadow will still be there, but it is in a sense behind us.  We are empowered not to live out of it any longer.

Lesson 3: Don’t Look at Others’ Shadows


And the third lesson is that we need to be careful not to get focused on the shadows of others.

Notice that when we are facing God, the sun, we might still be able to see the shadows of others.  But we should not get focused on them.

This is what Simon is doing in the gospel.  He thinks he is facing God, but he is really focused on the woman’s shadow and ends up being very full of himself.

In focusing on the shadow of the woman, Simon is really acting out of his own shadow of holding himself above others.  So, a telltale sign of living in our own shadow even when we think we are facing God, the sun, is when we get focused on the shadows of others.

We need to be aware of this.  It is important just to face the light, Jesus, and live out of that and not look at the shadows of others. 

Conclusion



So, a powerful lesson about our shadows this morning!