Wednesday, July 1, 2015

13th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle B - June 28, 2015

13th Sunday in Ordinary Time
Cycle B
June 28, 2015      10:30am and 12:00 Noon
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air

 

My List of Intentions


I am holding here my personal prayer book.

It is called The Liturgy of the Hours.  I brought this here today because I want to tell you about a piece of paper I keep inside the front cover of this book.

On this paper, I write the names of persons who have asked me to pray for them.  Most of these persons are dealing with some kind of sickness, maybe very serious.

For example, right now I am praying every day for a man named Jim, a friend whom I have known for fifteen years.  By the way, I mention his name because he is not in this parish and I doubt you would know him.

Jim is dealing with a very serious cancer, a brain tumor.  Every day I pray for him and for many others, mostly Saint Margaret parishioners.

Jairus and the Woman

I thought of these prayers this past week when I read today’s gospel.

We have two stories and they are similar.  One person asks Jesus to help somebody else.

The other person asks Jesus to help herself.  We are first told that a man named Jairus kneels down at Jesus’ feet and pleads with him.

He asks Jesus to come and heal his daughter who is very sick.  Jesus hears his request and actually restores the little girl to life because she has died before Jesus gets to Jairus’ home.

And then, in the midst of that, a woman who has been ill for years with a hemorrhage approaches Jesus.  She touches the hem of his cloak and feels healing power enter her body.

Jesus ends up saying to her, “Daughter, your faith has saved you.  Go in peace and be cured of your affliction.”

Our Prayers of Petition

I see in these stories the importance of bringing our needs and the needs of others to God.

Fundamentally, this is important because it expresses our dependence on God.  It keeps us aware of our human vulnerability and our need for God.

And then, when we bring our own needs to God as the woman in the gospel does, we open ourselves to God’s life.  We are really asking God to bring his life to our situation.

It might be sickness, financial trouble, an addiction, a relationship problem, whatever.  The woman with the hemorrhage is opening herself to the life and power of Jesus.

That’s what we do when we reach out to touch Jesus in prayer.  We allow the life and power of Jesus to enter and help us.

We are doing a similar thing when we bring the needs of others to Jesus, as Jairus does in the story.  We are asking God to bring life to them in their need, whatever it is.

Especially for those who are sick, we ask God to give them inner peace, strength, and forbearance.  And we ask God to give them physical healing, a restoration to health.

You and I both know that sometimes this doesn’t happen when we pray for others or for ourselves.  There will be a time for each of us when our physical bodies will fail and we will move on from life on this earth.

But we still pray for each other or for ourselves and ask that God’s life will enter and empower us.  We pray for that this inner communion of life, this oneness with God will take the one we are praying for or ourselves peacefully to the fullness of God’s life.   

Conclusion

So, I recommend that you consider keeping a list.

Keep a list of those who have asked you to pray for them and others whom you want to pray for.  Also, keep a list of intentions or needs for yourself.


And bring these needs to God every day.  Our prayers of petition are valuable.