Sunday, July 5, 2015

14th Sunday in Ordinary Time, Cycle B - July 5, 2015

14th Sunday of Ordinary Time
Cycle B
July 5, 2015                  9:30 and 11:00am
Saint Margaret Parish, Bel Air

 

The Supreme Court’s Decision


One week ago Friday, June 26th, all of us learned about the Supreme Court’s decision on same-sex marriage.

I watched about thirty minutes of the news coverage on this.  And, as I watched, I quickly decided to stick with the homily that I had worked on for last Sunday and not say a word about the Court’s decision.

To me, it seemed wiser to let the dust settle a bit and take time to reflect.  So, I have tried to do that and today I want to say a few things.

Archbishop Gregory

One of the best responses to the Court’s decision that I have seen is from Archbishop Wilton Gregory of Atlanta.

I seldom do this in a homily, but today I want to read a few sentences from Archbishop Gregory’s statement.  He says this:

“Each Supreme Court decision that has ever been rendered has resulted in deep disappointment for some people and vindication for others.  The most recent decision is no different.

“By the same token, every court decision is limited in what it can achieve; again, this one is no exception.  It does not change the Catholic Church’s teaching regarding the Sacrament of Matrimony, which beautifully joins a man and a woman in a loving union that is permanent in commitment and open to God’s blessing of precious new life.

“This judgment, however, does not absolve either those who may approve or disapprove of this decision from the obligations of civility toward one another.  Neither is it a license for more venomous language or vile behavior against those whose opinions differ from our own.

“It is a decision that confers a civil entitlement to some people who could not claim it before.  It does not resolve the moral debate. 

“This moral debate must also include the way we treat one another – especially those with whom we disagree.  In many respects, the moral question is at least as consequential as the granting of the civil entitlement.”

Where I Am

I think Archbishop Gregory shows a lot of wisdom here.

He expresses, better than I could, my perspective in dealing with this matter.  With that said, I want to add two reflections of my own.

1. Faithful Presence

Based on some reading and study I have done, I believe that we as a Church need to take the approach of faithful presence in our society – faithful presence.

We live and we will be living in a very diverse, pluralistic culture.  In this situation, we rightfully bring to the table our values and beliefs – on marriage, on the protection of the life of the unborn, whatever.

But we must bring this with civility.  This means that we know that there are and will be other points of view.

And we treat them with spiritual and intellectual respect.  Faithful presence means that we are confident that we have something to contribute to our society.

It means that we do this in ways that are respectful.  If we resort to vitriolic words and name-calling, to a condemning, in-your-face approach – and I have heard some of this during the past week in the name of Christianity and Catholicism – if we do that, we are not representing Jesus well.

We will then become little more than another political action committee.  So, faithful presence – being faithful to what we believe about an issue and equally faithful to how Jesus tells us to treat one another – those words capture the approach that I am convinced is the correct one.

2. Embrace and Include

My other thought comes from today’s second reading.

Saint Paul says – and this is a very insightful sentence – “power is made perfect in weakness.”  “Power is made perfect in weakness.”

We, as a Church, as an institutional Church, must remember our own weakness. One example of this is right in our own lifetime with our failure in the protection of minors.

If we remember this weakness, then there is great hope.  We will be much more understanding of humanity. 

Then we will be a Church that is more concerned with including everyone than with excluding.  We will be a Church that concerns itself with the care of all persons who want to follow the way of Jesus in this community of faith, no matter how perfect or imperfect, no matter how alike to us or different from us they are. 

I love our Church with its rich sacramental and spiritual tradition.  With that, we need to remain aware, always aware of our humanity and then accept the humanity of others.

Conclusion

I want to conclude with the words that Archbishop Gregory of Atlanta used to conclude his statement.

He again expresses where I am.

“The [Supreme Court] decision has made my ministry as a pastor more complex since it demands that I both continue to uphold the teachings of my Church regarding the Sacrament of Matrimony while also demanding that I insist upon respect for the human dignity of both those who approve of the judgment as well as those who may disapprove.”

Amen!