Friday, May 6, 2016

Friday of the 5th Week of Easter, Cycle C - April 29, 2016

Friday of the 5th Week of Easter
Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena
April 29, 2016      8:30am

 

Readings:   Acts 15.22-31
                  John 15.12-17

Today’s gospel is part of Jesus’ Last Supper or Farewell Discourse to his disciples.
If we look at it closely, we find here the essential elements of what a life of faith in Jesus is all about.

First, our life in Christ is God’s initiative.
Jesus says: “It was not you who chose me, but I who chose you.”
So, our living in Christ begins with God’s choice.

Second, Jesus opens up to us who God is.
He says: “I have told you everything I have heard from my Father.”
So, in Jesus we gain insight into God and ourselves that we would not be able to get by ourselves alone.

Third, Jesus brings us close to himself.
He says: “I no longer call you slaves…I have called you friends.”
So, though him and in him we have a close relationship with God.

Fourth, Jesus expects us to do something with this relationship.
He says: “I chose you to go and bear fruit that will remain.”
So, we are not just to believe in Jesus, but to follow him and live his way.

And fifth, our responding to Jesus will bring us fulfillment.
Jesus says: “Whatever you ask the Father in my name he will give you.”
We may not get exactly what we ask for in our prayers, but we will experience a fulfillment from being in and with God.


So, if we just look closely at these farewell words of Jesus, we find some wonderful teaching on the essentials of living a life of faith in him.