Monday, December 8, 2014

Tuesday of the 1st Week of Advent, Cycle A - December 2, 2014

Tuesday of the 1st Week of Advent

December 2, 2014                  6:30am

 

I hope to be able to do some creative things here at Saint Margaret’s in the months and years ahead.
I hope to bring basic faith and spirituality to people in ways that are respectful and creative.
I hope to reach out especially to those who have given up formal practice of their faith.
I also hope to grow in my own personal relationship with God in the years ahead.
And I hope to spend more time with my brother and his family.
I have these hopes.

I see hope as the central theme of this Advent Season.
Just look at today’s first reading.
The prophet foretells the coming a leader who will have the “Spirit of the Lord” – a Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, strength, knowledge and fear of the Lord.
That is quite a hope.
The prophet also foretells a time when all of nature – the animal world – will live at peace.
“The wolf shall be a guest of the lamb.”
And he foretells a time when all of humanity will be at peace – religious differences will not get in the way.
Isaiah extends this hope for us.
Jesus, of course, even gives us the hope of the fullness of life, of resurrection.

So, Advent and Jesus give us hope – hope for the future.
They and Jesus do this by lifting up a wonderful vision that we are to work for.
And Jesus grounds this for us, he makes it possible by being with us.
His presence with us in the present makes the future possible.
He, Emmanuel, which means “God-is-with-us,” grounds our hope.


This is what these wonderful weeks of Advent are all about.